In-tunnel design features
NorthConnex is Australia's first road tunnel to incorporate a series of contemporary internal lighting features to keep drivers engaged as they travel through the nine kilometre tunnel.
The lighting features were informed by a researched partnership between Transurban, Transport for NSW, The University of NSW and AustRoads. Similar tunnel features are best practice and have been used on international tunnel projects such as the Norra Lanken Tunnel in Sweden.
Our designs and features in the NorthConnex tunnels include:
- Australian bird silhouettes at the entry portals.
- A backlit silhouette of trees along the northbound tunnel.
- Lit lines of light leading the eye onwards in the southbound tunnel.
- A night sky simulating the different intensity of stars in the southbound tunnel.
- Two types of patterns reflecting the direction of travel:
- organic features referencing Ku-ring-gai Chase National park and the NSW north coast in the northbound tunnel.
- geometric features referencing Sydney sandstone linking with the warm colours of the Hills M2 Motorway and Lane Cove Tunnel in the southbound tunnel.
The internal lighting features are up to 160 meters in length and only take a few seconds to drive through.