You do not have to provide any of your personal information to us. However if you do not provide us with your personal information that we request we may not be able to provide the assistance to you that you request, answer your queries, address your complaint or otherwise provide any requested or required services to you.
What personal information do we collect?
We may collect the following personal information about you:
- Your name
- Your contact details (e.g. mailing address, email address and phone number)
- Your query, complaint or enquiry
- Details of your property and/or any alleged damage to your property (including any valuations or other relevant reports)
- The languages you speak and/or whether English is your second language
- Information/history regarding your health
- Information regarding the makeup of your family
- Information regarding how best to manage communications with you
- Information about your dealings with us or with NorthConnex.
How do we collect your personal information?
We collect most of your personal information directly from you. However when necessary and appropriate we also collect your personal information from third parties including:
- Government agencies
- Engineers, surveyors, investigators and the like
- Subscription databases, such as RP Data
- Your family members, legal guardian and/or anyone you have authorised to deal with us on your behalf
- From publicly available sources.
What do we use your personal information for?
We collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information for the purposes of our engagement with the community in respect of the NorthConnex Project and as permitted or required by law. These purposes include to:
- Manage the community engagement and relations with and participation in NorthConnex
- Conduct investigations and damage assessments including valuations, calculations of compensation, settlement negotiations and the like
- Respond to your and/or other peoples' enquiries about NorthConnex and provide you and/or others with the assistance requested
- Comply with our legal and contractual obligations in respect of NorthConnex.
We may also collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information as permitted or required by law or a Court or Tribunal order.
Who do we disclose your personal information to?
We may disclose your personal information to third parties. Where appropriate and reasonably possible we will only disclose your personal information to third parties bound by the APPs or on a confidential basis. Such third parties to which we may disclose your personal information include:
- Our Australian based third party service providers for the purpose of enabling them to provide, manage or administer a service provided to us or to assist us to otherwise provide our services to the NorthConnex Project (such as our IT service providers)
- Your representatives, but only if you have provided consent for such disclosure
- Government bodies, regulators, law enforcement agencies and any other parties where permitted or required by law
- Our related entities and other NorthConnex Project contractors in connection to their provision of services to us and/or the NorthConnex Project
- Engineers, surveyors, investigators and the like
- Other third parties we are legally permitted or required to disclose your personal information to.
How do we protect your personal information?
We take reasonable steps to protect your personal information that we hold from misuse, interference and loss and from unauthorised access, modification and disclosure. For example, we implement the following security measures:
- Physical security procedures for access to our business premises
- Physical security procedures within our offices
- IT security procedures including password protection, firewalls, intrusion detection and site monitoring
- Mandatory confidentiality guidelines and privacy training for all staff within the business.
Despite the measures we put in place we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information. You must take care to protect your personal information (e.g. by protecting usernames and passwords). You should notify us as soon as possible if you become aware of any security breaches.
How can you access your personal information?
You may access your personal information that we hold subject to a small number of legal restrictions or exemptions. Where such restrictions or exemptions exist we will advise you of those reasons if we deny your request for access.
If you wish to access your personal information that we hold you should contact us at the details below (see the "Our contact information" section below) and provide us with proof (satisfactory to us) of your identity.
While we do not charge you for a request for accessing your personal information please be aware that we may charge a reasonable fee (which will be notified to you once you make a request) for our time and costs in complying with your request in the following circumstances:
- If an extended amount of time is required to collate and prepare the material for you
- If you wish to have your personal information photocopied by us.
How can you correct your personal information?
We take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However we rely on you to advise us of any changes to your personal information.
Please contact us at the details below (see the "Our contact information" section below) as soon as possible if there are any changes to your personal information or if you believe the personal information we hold about you is not accurate, complete or up-to-date so that we can update our records accordingly.
How can you make a complaint?
We will investigate your complaint and determine the steps (if any) that we will undertake to resolve your complaint. We will contact you if we require any additional information from you and will notify you in writing of the outcome of our investigation.
If you are not satisfied with our determination, at any time you can complain to the Australian Privacy Commissioner (see www.oaic.gov.au for contact details).
Our contact information
Communications and Stakeholder Engagement Manager
Phone: 1800 997 057
Last updated - May 2015